Whoops, got a bit ahead of myself on the Christmas post.
Just as a last 2D task, we were instructed to take the line art of another artist who had designed caterpillar creatures (much more successfully than myself) and use a painting over technique to attempt a more fluid and less cell-shaded kind of effect.
I found this task quite difficult. I had attempted this two or thee times before getting myself into the swing of the minimal lines/painter style. This means that I did not have time to finish the tutorial peice to the level desired. But luckily I grasped the idea by the end of the session. I hope to use this technique in future to make sure my work is not limited to a heavily line-art based and expand my skillset.
Over the last few weeks we have been doing tutorials to get to grips with a program called Unity. This program allows for a game designer to quickly build and script a game. We made several scenes to demonstrate different mechanics and scripts and I feel that this tool is very useful.
For Our last session before the Christmas break, we made a simple game where you click the fire button to drop a box on to the end of a see-saw, this then launches the box at the other end into a Christmas-themed figure and destroys it.
The aim of this session was to design anthropomorphic characters based on caterpillars. I think of myself as rather knowledgeable in the field of anthropomorphism and bipedal animals as this is where my creative arts and crafting originated.
After looking at pictures of certain caterpillars, I quickly sketched 3 designs and refined one into a full image. Sadly this full image is not available for me to upload. But I will upload it when I can. Here are my initial designs:
These three designs took me a while to come up with as I was trying to capture the trails of the insect/s they were based off of. Even so I don’t feel that they are very uniform in their styling. I factored the one on the right as it most resembled the caterpillar it was based off. I think in future I need to improve my consistency when designing multiple characters for the same brief.
under any animated model lies a animation skeleton. This allows the animator to move the model. Making walk cycles and various animations for the character or monster. We created one of these skeletons without a model over the top, editing it to have various proportions and using the tools in 3DSmaxx to create a walk cycle that went around various obstacles like stairs and duck under poles.
Here is a screenshot from my first walk cycle, walking over some boxes of various sizes:
I hope in the future we can do this once more with our own models placed on top of the skeletons.
Our latest 3D task was to create a low-poly robot in 3DSMaxx. Although these models are known for being bocky, the low poly count allows them to use significantly less memory than their high-poly counterparts. Games will often have a high and low poly model for gameplay and cutscenes respectively.
Here is the image of my lo-poly robot:
Although this not entirely accurate to the image we were given, I had to finish this model without the references due to my own misjudgement. But I feel that my model is close enough. If I had more time I would have accurately completed the model’s hands and given it a texture. I feel I am improving with my modeling speed, but I need to keep practicing modeling and texturing.
As part of the Games Encounters lectures we were put into teams and given three random elements to design a game from. my team were given “music game” “dedicated players” and “The land of tomorrow” – with these ideas in mind we pooled our ideas together and over a week we created Pugstep. A musical platformer featuring a pug, this game would also had collectables and online connectivity if we were to dedicate to making it for download.
Here are some images from the development:
I helped with the coding, as well as design for the level and the “helper” character seen to the left of this text.
[I will provide a link to the game or screenshots at a later date.]
I feel that our work was a very high quality considering the time-frame we were given. We had to design and make a playable demo in a program we had no experience with in no more than a few weeks. My team worked well together although I had to remind them not to stray too far off topic at times.
Given the chance, i would love to finish this game to an IOS/Mobile device app standard.
As part of the CGA course, I have attended life drawing sessions. Here is a sample of some of the charcoal drawings I have created over the weeks:
Life drawing teaches important skills, offering practice of drawing the human form from life. I feel any artist will benefit from doing more life drawing. Myself included.