This project involves making a New York rooftap as a playable level as a vertical slice of a game. We will be working as part of a team as an experience of actual game development. Very few games are developed is carried out in isolation. Also, team working experience is increasingly recognized by employers as a transferable skill.
We were put into randomised groups of five to seven, and split the roles amoungst us. there roles were:
- 3D Artist
- 2D Artist
- Game Designer
My roles in my group was Producer/2D and Sound design.
We used Trello as our Design document and communication tool. Seen here: https://trello.com/b/DOlg2HZD/games-mechanics-group-bubblebee
Below you can see the assets/work that i have produced:
1.] Designs for time Square (center platform) – floating/suspension ideas.
2.] Ideas for futuristic traffic lights.
3.] Connecting bridge designs [linking buildings and platforms etc.]
Seamless textures created in Adobe Photoshop.
A few bump maps I created in class after I installed it on my laptop and bought it in for the group to use.
– Sound design
The .ZIP file above contains all the edited sounds I created in Adobe Audible. 95% of sounds were recorded by me, all sounds were edited in some way. All of the few stock sounds used are royalty free.
-Bug testing feedback form
Feedback document made to test our game with.
Although my main role was producer, my group was very self directed and I wanted to give everyone a chance to “lead” at some point. I took it upon myself to try and help with any tasks I was proficient in (mainly sound/2D) to help my team where I could, filling gaps when people were absent alongside general book-keeping. I tried to keep the Trello board organised by adding labels and making checklists along with weekly reviews for the team and talking to them about things that may be holding them back, but trying not to harass or distract them too much.
Throughout the entire project my main goal was to smooth out the production of our work, and as my team was so self-directed and professional I did not have to make backups of files as people were all backing up their work already, coming in to most lessons/meetings and generally “getting on with it” throughout the project of their own accord. This means that I found myself in other people’s roles quite oftern just helping out where I could, doing things like installing CrazyBump on my laptop and bringing it in for my team to use, or give me textures to make bumpmaps for.
Because I’m more 2D orientated I was not much help with the 3D side of things, but since we had four group members all with 3D as their specialty I felt that this was okay. Although at some points was a little useless as I did not trust myself to model something or map my textures to save someone else the time, as I knew that someone else would likely have to fix/redo the work afterwards which would take even longer. I decided to focus my efforts elswhere and produce a higher quality work for the team, focusing on my strengths.
Late into the production I noticed we had no sound effects, so I took it upon myself to be the audio director. I rented a sound recorder from the university and recorded as many of the game sounds as I could, using Adobe Audable to cut, edit, layer and filter the sounds using my knowledge from my ND in Music Technology to make our sounds sound fuller and less “stock sound”-like. This also made our sounds completely unique. I put a lot of time into the audio, which is a very vital part of making a video game feel immersive. Although it was not a role, I feel that sound design (or a lack of it) can make or break a game. Hense why I put so much time and effort into making quality audio to go along with all the quality work my team had produced.
Overall I am very proud and happy with what we produced. We were lucky to get a team where everyone was put in a role they were comfortable with, and people that worked well together. We made a high quality vertical slice of a game together and i hope to work with some of these people again in the future.