Drazer: Subdivide to Conquer

In order to smooth my model but retain the hard edges of the plastic I had to use the crease tool in order to harden the strong edges while allowing the curves to be smoothed.

Capture

Although this took a long time, it meant that that i got a much more detailed model.

 

Although it was about this point, where I was told that the Crease tool information wouldn’t port to Zbrush. Therefore I had to smooth my model in Maya after creasing it in order to keep my desired hard edges.

hi

So after a long and painful few sessions of spending most of my time holding the MMB I finally smoothed my model. And it was worth it to see how detailed and smooth it is. Beautiful.

Dranzer: All Parts

After a little bit of a struggle with some stray Verts along the center of my model, I managed to finish making all the components of my beyblade!

from top to bottom:

  • Bit chip
  • Attack ring
  • Weight Disc
  • Spin/Magnet Gear
  • Switchable blade tip
  • Blade bottom/Base

 

Each part came with it;s own challenges. Such as the switchable blade tip being a tri-headed, lockable mechanism which took some study to fully understand how it even worked!

 

With some more small adjustments, This model will soon be ready to get it’s high-poly beauty.

 

I’m really glad that I decided to pursue this object. Even though it has been a challenge to model, I’ve found myself rather passionate about making it to a good quality and as accurate as I could to the source material.

 

DRANZER has appeared!

After a week of modeling, I have decided to change my direction and make the Beyblade my model for this project- not only is it a lot more interesting to me, but I also think the the modular design of the item has helped me massively with breaking down the components.

Although I hit some problems with my model (to be expected as i’m rather inexperienced with Maya) I believe I’ve been doing a good job of replicating the complex shape of the components.

 

 

Test: Dranzer Attack Ring

To take a break from my Ukulele I decided to sculpt something different that was a more interesting and intricate shape.

maxresdefault

A friend had recently given me quite a rare find – the black version of the Dranzer-F Beyblade from the series of the same name. These spinning tops had several parts to them, so I started with the most simple part and worked from there.

Capture

I found myself doing quite well despite the difficult shape of the attack ring – and in the few hours I had been modeling Dranzer I found that I had done more towards this side-project than a few weeks of working on the Ukulele.

 

I might have to reconsider my choice of item to model~

Triple A Asset Production – 2

Having worked on my model for a few weeks, it has started to take form to look like an instrument.

 

Using the curve tool to make the edge of the body, I extruded from there in order to make the base shape. Then extruded the neck and made the fret board and other components separately.

Here are some screenshots from various stages in the last few weeks:

Capture1Capture2Capture3

 

I believe my model is coming along well, although i realise that my topology is a leaves a lot to be desired in some places (Especially at the arch connecting the neck and the body) – but this being a high resolution model means that this will not be the final game asset, so there is some leeway when it comes to things like that.