Low Ploy – UVs

An often overlooked task – I thought UVing my model would be a rather quick process. But as of writing, I’ve spent a countless amount of hours doing and re-doing the UV mapping for my low-poly model.

I have never UV-mapped a model before, and being a rather confident tailor I was sure that I would have no trouble – As one of my classmates described the task as similar to laying out a sewing pattern.

 

Although this mindset is similar. My unfamiliarity with the process has hindered my progress. along with being at it so long and being to the point of exhaustion – This might not be finished by the deadline at the end of the day if it continues at it;s current speed.

 

for the next project I will have to plan my time a little more effectively, as several tasks like this have slowed me down over the project. Although i have learnt a lot by trail and error, the stress of having to re-do the same task four times has killed my enthusiasm.

 

Advertisements

Maya Model Complete!

Capture7

Here is my complete Maya model!

For curiosity as motivation, I took a little time to align all my parts to view the “finished” Maya model:

And to compare to the real thing, here are some photos of the exact Beyblade I’ve been using for reference. Dranzer-F (Blue):

I must admit I’m pleased with how accurate I’ve been!

 

Next: ZBRUSH!

 

Drazer: Subdivide to Conquer

In order to smooth my model but retain the hard edges of the plastic I had to use the crease tool in order to harden the strong edges while allowing the curves to be smoothed.

Capture

Although this took a long time, it meant that that i got a much more detailed model.

 

Although it was about this point, where I was told that the Crease tool information wouldn’t port to Zbrush. Therefore I had to smooth my model in Maya after creasing it in order to keep my desired hard edges.

hi

So after a long and painful few sessions of spending most of my time holding the MMB I finally smoothed my model. And it was worth it to see how detailed and smooth it is. Beautiful.

Dranzer: All Parts

After a little bit of a struggle with some stray Verts along the center of my model, I managed to finish making all the components of my beyblade!

from top to bottom:

  • Bit chip
  • Attack ring
  • Weight Disc
  • Spin/Magnet Gear
  • Switchable blade tip
  • Blade bottom/Base

 

Each part came with it;s own challenges. Such as the switchable blade tip being a tri-headed, lockable mechanism which took some study to fully understand how it even worked!

 

With some more small adjustments, This model will soon be ready to get it’s high-poly beauty.

 

I’m really glad that I decided to pursue this object. Even though it has been a challenge to model, I’ve found myself rather passionate about making it to a good quality and as accurate as I could to the source material.

 

DRANZER has appeared!

After a week of modeling, I have decided to change my direction and make the Beyblade my model for this project- not only is it a lot more interesting to me, but I also think the the modular design of the item has helped me massively with breaking down the components.

Although I hit some problems with my model (to be expected as i’m rather inexperienced with Maya) I believe I’ve been doing a good job of replicating the complex shape of the components.

 

 

Test: Dranzer Attack Ring

To take a break from my Ukulele I decided to sculpt something different that was a more interesting and intricate shape.

maxresdefault

A friend had recently given me quite a rare find – the black version of the Dranzer-F Beyblade from the series of the same name. These spinning tops had several parts to them, so I started with the most simple part and worked from there.

Capture

I found myself doing quite well despite the difficult shape of the attack ring – and in the few hours I had been modeling Dranzer I found that I had done more towards this side-project than a few weeks of working on the Ukulele.

 

I might have to reconsider my choice of item to model~